A well-equipped and updated outbound call center solution software is a great medium of communicating with existing as well as potential purchasers, thus resulting in greater productivity. However, there are a lot of other factors that play a major role in determining the efficiency of the worker.
A paramount factor is workplace culture. The callers spend a significant amount of time in the call centers and it is essential that the workplace offers employees a sound and healthy workplace environment.
The positive atmosphere helps them to deal with stressful situations and make the staff members feel valued and respected.
Remember, happy employees make happy clients!
Here are a few tips that help you to promote a balanced workplace culture and a suitable yet fun work environment.
1. Visually appealing office
• The design of the call center plays a big role in keeping the callers productive. The agents spend their maximum time in contact centers, and hence it is important that their workplace inspires them and looks attractive.
• Use of vibrant colors, encouraging posters, modern furniture is said to have a positive effect on the mood of the workers.
• Nature also has a calming effect on the callers. Use of plant, flowers and proper lighting can help in lifting the spirits and counter the stress levels.
2. A relaxing space
• Call centers are often a place with lots of noise and high amount of anxiety. Under such conditions, the executives need some space where they can unwind and enjoy a quiet relaxing break. Allow them to take short intervals so that they can move around the office or even outside.
• This gives them freedom of movement and a moment away from the chaos. This can also help in meeting the socializing needs of the callers.
3. Keep the energy alive
• The contact managers must ensure that the levels of fervor are high in the office. If the top-level staff is enthusiastic about aligning with the mission of the company, only then will the representatives develop a stronger connection with the call center.
4. Interactive Wall
• Have wall spaces that have sticky notes or whiteboard where the workers can freely communicate and write whatever they wish to. This gives them the option to express their opinions freely, and employee engagement would see a steady rise.
• This helps to make them feel important as their views are held in high esteem.
5. Allow flexibility
• Allow the agents to work with mobility. Help them access applications and information on almost all the devices in every corner of the office. Off-site agents have the opportunity of working from home, thereby cutting costs as well as increasing production.
6. Comfort is king
• The executives work for many hours at a stretch and often sit in one position for a long time. As a result, problems of back pain, neck pain and headaches are common. Hence, ergonomics forms a critical aspect in a call center.
• It is important that the employees feel satisfied and comfortable. Only then will they feel wanted and desired. This increases loyalty towards the company. Bring in comfortable chairs, accessories like standing desks and arrange standing meetings.
7. Keep abreast with technology
• With technology evolving at an alarming speed, it is important that the company stays updated with the changes. A sophisticated machinery increases agent productivity and also helps them get an edge over other companies. It even makes resolution of clients’ problems a lot simpler.
8. Talk freely with callers
• It is imperative that the managers develop an open policy with the workers. This will help in maintaining transparency and shall also strengthen the bond between the admin and the executives. Be a mentor rather than a boss.
• Agents are the closest link to the customers, and they can provide ideas on how to better things. A healthy relationship with the managers makes them believe that their voice is being heard in the office.
9. Provide the required tools
• Often it is seen that the workers complain about the tools available and are unhappy with the limitations caused because of unproductive systems. Hence, it is important that updated mechanisms and tools in working condition are made available.
• Many contact centers allow the executives to work on their own devices like mobiles and tablets. Personally owned items often help in increasing efficiency of the clients as they are more advanced than most of the call center tools and the callers are also more at ease and familiar with their usage.
10. Timely feedback
• Feedback from senior management is bound to lift the spirits of the workers. A call from the top executives can help them feel motivated and valued. Feedback should be given on both the positive as well as the development needs of the workers.
• This makes them realize how they are performing and what needs improvement. The admin should continue to celebrate little successes of the workers and address the issues faced by them.
• The management and the callers should sit together and have regular review sessions on how both are functioning. This helps both the parties to identify their strength and weakness as well as increases camaraderie between them.
• Everyone likes to be rewarded and appreciated. The reps feel more motivated when they realize that something is on offer for them. Monthly bonuses, quick surprise incentives can be a great way to encourage them and make them feel happy.
• Often the employees feel encouraged when they are given a leadership task or an increased pay due to their hard work. The prizes could include anything like a gadget, a cash prize or even a weekday off!
12. Listen to the workers
• Pay a close heed to the success stories of the agent or how things went wrong during the call. Listening to their stories shall give you a different perspective of the contact center. While the managers may not agree with all that is said by the executives, listening to them shall make the top staff members understand their worries and concerns in a better way.
13. Collaboration areas
• Having a communal meeting area can be a great way to encourage collaboration among employees. Workers from various departments and management levels get a chance to interact and build connections. This in turn will create a happy workplace and develops a sense of security and understanding among them.
• Open spaces are a good place to have quick meetings. This gives them a chance to take a break from their desk and also helps in lifting their mood.
14. Promote health and wellness
• It is imperative that the staff members are made part of wellness programs. These could include a gym facility, yoga classes or even nutritious snacks in the canteen. This not only keeps them healthy and stress-free but also makes them feel like an integral part of the company as steps are taken to look after their health.
15. Maintain a positive atmosphere
• It is essential that the workers do not feel pressurized and overburdened with the high expectations of closing ratio. The admin must align their expectations according to the realistic trends and economic conditions in the market.
• Under extreme pressure, there are chances of callers’ committing mistakes. The manager must encourage them to raise their game slowly and effectively, one step at a time.
16. Give them authority
• With authority, comes great responsibility. A majority of the times, the callers are unhappy because they have less control or no decision-making capabilities at work. This leads to insecurity, and they start feeling inferior and out of the place.
• Assign them few leadership tasks like campaign management or give them the autonomy of making on the spot decisions in order to increase their productivity. The added responsibility makes them work harder and gives them a sense of belonging.
17. Encourage growth
• Help the workers in both their professional and personal growth. With continuous coaching models, the agents can be better equipped with resources to handle the customers. With a greater number of sales, they can advance their careers. Promotion in job motivates the employees to strive for excellence.
• Allow rotational schemes so that they can experience work in different departments and can see how the organization operates at multiple levels. This also gives them a break from the routine and brings in variety.
18. Keep a look out for the Red flags
• As a manager, it is important that you try to maintain a positive culture among the employees. Any individual who may create negative effects in the organization must be reprimanded. These can include an employee with lazy habits, poor work attitude or consistent bad performance.
19. Swapping Roles
• A healthy work culture can be maintained when the managers and callers work together. The admin should also sometimes swap the roles and do the job of the caller. This gives both the agent as well as the management a clear picture of the challenges and barriers faced by the other person. This will help them appreciate the role of the other in the organization in a better way.
20. Address the issues at the earliest
• The policy of speedy resolution should apply to the agents as well. Set in-person and one-on-one meetings with the staff and encourage them to talk honestly about what is bothering them. Furthermore, have an anonymous complaint box where the workers can tell their issues freely without fearing about the implications.
• Chalk out an elaborate plan to address the problems. Be open to the suggestions from the workers and respect their opinions.
A call center can flourish only when the telemarketers are inspired and excited to work. A good workplace and helpful companions play an integral role in the performance of the caller. They are the most valuable asset to the organization and should be respected and treated well.
• Prima Solutions (PS) is an rapidly growing IT company. Established in 2013, the company looks after providing IT solutions to medium and large-scale industries in order to streamline their productivity and improve efficiency. The company offers a multitude of services, including web design, web hosting, community portals as well as multilingual software development.
• In an attempt to bring in more clients, the company has started using an advanced cloud-based outbound call center software.
• With growing demands for personalized website solutions, the company has gathered a huge lead database. Understanding that workers play a major role, PS was very critical about choosing the right employees for calling the customers.
• While the closing ratio was very good for the first trimester, the company started facing losses soon. The sales list dropped; customers did not seem satisfied and one could sense a palpating tension while in the contact center. The company also got reports of issues cropping up between the senior-level management and the workers in the call center.
• The company thought that the problem was with the way deals were being offered and hence decided to change the sales approach. It also started using social media marketing. Effective training sessions were arranged for the callers, and the pitch script was changed.
• Sales slowly increased. However, the crisis cropped up again and the closing ratio dropped. After thorough research, PS realized that the trouble was caused because of the lack of understanding between the employees and an improper and under furnished workstation.
• PS then decided to bring a change in the work culture in the office. Earlier, the employees had limited interaction and were seated at their desk most of the time. As a result, they did not have any stress-free moments to share and have fun.
• Step 1: The company first got an anonymous complaint box set up. This was important because the workers would certainly feel intimidated in front the management and hence would not give the correct information.
• Step2: The workers were asked to write down all their issues and drop it in the box. A special team consisting of top-level management as well as the employees was created. They were asked to look into the queries and problems of the callers and recommend effective resolutions.
• Step 3: While training and coaching modules were always present in the routine, an element of fun was added to it. Games and activities were arranged after the training, outside in the garden, so that the employees got a chance to interact and team spirit developed.
• Step 4: The workers are also allowed to take small breaks, sip coffee or grab a nutritious snack item from the newly built canteen. The food joint is in an open space, allowing the workers to move out from the walls of the office and relax themselves.
• Step5: A huge postcard was also stuck on the notice board. The star performers’ pictures along with their incentives were stuck on it. The admin was advised to praise and thank agents each time they performed wonderfully.
• Step 6: The management also decided to have small get-togethers once in three months. This could be in any form like a party, a picnic or a small luncheon.
• The company saw a drastic improvement in the morale of the employees. They socialized together and hence behaved like an extended family. The get-togethers and the team-building activities added to their bonding.
• Broadcast of appreciation made them feel special, and they were even more dedicated towards their work. Quick gifts and bonuses were added attractions. The complaint box and discussions allowed them to clearly voice their opinions and problems in front of the executives.
• PS also had a well-equipped and sophisticated outbound calling solution and with features like call recording and reports, monitoring was an easy job. With live call reports and customized reports, better transparency was ensured. Thus, there was an objective supervision and blame games were avoided.
While it is true that a good-quality outbound calling software makes the job of telemarketers easier, it is important that a happy workplace and comfortable office surroundings are provided to the workers.
A strong work culture combined with the best telemarketing software can work wonders for agents and prompt them to work harder and achieve the goals of an outbound calling process. Drop your comments in the box below and let us know if you believe this.