Some companies have chosen the intelligent option of using hybrid cloud and that lets them get in touch with both the private cloud system as well as the public cloud system.
It enables these companies to manage applications that are critical to the company campaigns and send the other non-critical applications to the public cloud. Doing so helps them in higher scalability as this provides flexibility through cloud bursting.
So the question is, what does hybrid cloud do? What it does is combine one private cloud system and one public cloud system into a single system using a call center software. However, these hybrid systems have a variety of challenges dealing with integration, implementation and even migration.
As Dan Olds, an analyst with The Gabriel Consulting Group says, “I believe that hybrid clouds will become the most prevalent cloud usage model for enterprises. This model gives data centers the ability to add extra capacity very quickly to handle seasonal usage spikes or other events, without having to purchase new systems.”
Companies also need to deal with a series of complex service level agreements for clarity before they decide to jump into the hybrid cloud systems.
Even though there are such difficulties the cloud providers are keen to expand into this territory, creating tools for hybrid cloud services and deploying hybrid clouds.
Even though technology has advanced hugely in this system, it is important to remember that hybrid cloud systems still have cloud security issues, and it does not free you from confusing or even unfair service level agreements.
On the other hand, hybrid cloud can also solve many risks that usually involves in using such services with the introduction of cloud bursting and recovery options in a better fashion.
“There are complications in running a hybrid cloud versus just a private or public cloud, which makes the planning process so vital,” says Patrick Moorhead, an analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy.
Now that you have seen what exactly a hybrid cloud is and how it is supposed to work, it in time to look at the list of tips that will help you use the hybrid cloud system successfully.
1. The cloud contact center should not have any hidden costs in their packages, and therefore you should be vigilant about it. Be sure to ask for a price list anytime you opt for a hybrid cloud system to avoid hidden transactions within the system.
2. The hybrid cloud can help you plan implementation and migration in a better way, and provide you with uptime percentage whenever you require it. It should also provide service level agreements or SLAs and offer real-time support.
3. Choosing the right software and the right cloud system is important and essential, but that is only half the requirement. To run such a system, it is important to have qualified personnel. Agents who know how to work when dealing with hybrid clouds is as important as selecting the correct software providers to run it.
4. Take note that the transition from in-house IT to the hybrid cloud should be as smooth as possible, for a smoother integration with the hosted cloud. The architecture needs to be converted into a cloud platform easily for adding technologies like on-demand scalability, self-service solutions, and a centrally managed system.
5. The service provider will have to take up careful planning before making the switch to a hybrid cloud to make sure that there are no compatibility or legacy issues in the new cloud environment.
6. One of the most important things that the hybrid cloud control solutions need to have is an effective User Access Control or UAC system. It should have the ability to set up different permission levels for the user access to the virtual data centers of the company. Only users with administrative roles should be able to view the activity in the virtual data center activity.
7. Direct access to sandbox environments for vendors should be allowed but there should be limited access for these vendors when it comes to the corporate networks for better security. Hybrid cloud implementation should be done with careful planning as the entire security of the company will be at stake if an important feature doesn’t hold up.
8. While it seems like it is a perfect solution for any company, especially those dealing with the IT sector, it comes with its own risks. However, most hybrid cloud packages come with features like cloud bursting and other important tools for management that helps in validating this cloud model in different environments.
9. You should always maintain an open channel with your customers regarding what to expect from your company. Talking to the customers, getting their feedback can help you develop your hybrid cloud model in a better way, because it will focus on the customers more than the company.
10. When it comes to creating a hybrid cloud system it is always helpful to go with the oldest suppliers of these services rather than selecting a newer one. The reason for this is simple enough. The older the provider, the more experience they will be. They can offer insights and customize the cloud space for you so that you don’t need to worry about it at all.
11. Slow and steady is the advice that most companies already experienced with such a cloud system will say to a company just going into this system. The changes should be slow and steady and regular. You should not change everything at once because it will take away the stability of your company and leave it exposed to damage.
12. Standardizing of all components is very important for the cloud service to run smoothly. It would present a formal governance process for newer products and it included multiple IT disciplines that will make sure that the standards are being mentioned.
13. It is a known fact that virtualizing is a great way to save time and revenue. But, keep in mind that the companies who wish to follow the path of hybrid cloud system should also focus on the extension of virtualization that is not limited to storage of information.
14. Before deciding anything else you should decide in the application and data deployment model that will suit your company.
15. There are various types of deployment available in the market. They are: on-premises, hosted private cloud, public cloud and the combination of the three. Knowing about them and selecting the one that suits your company is the best method to move with the hybrid cloud system.
16. Always take into account the following criteria when you decide on a cloud system: flexibility, speed, cost, security, automation, service levels, locality and system inter-dependencies.
17. If you already have an existing system, the best way to approach the hybrid system is to integrate it with the existing system. This will connect them to various applications and reduce the revenue needed to implement the system from scratch.
18. For successful implementation, companies can put controlled interfaces through which the components and applications can access the data on the premises with the help of technologies such as the API management. Consider the administration and business aspects of the integration as well.
19. Since hybrid cloud connectivity has to deal with more than simple communications between the components that run in different environments, it is important that the connectivity provided meets the requirements of the service levels.
20. Consider using network virtualization if your vendor provides it because it will help in making the process and the transition a bit smoother.
The Case Study
We have done our best in making sure that you, our reader, is aware of the successes that can be achieved with the help of hybrid cloud system. However, in order to complete a research, it is important not only to have a good theoretical idea about how hybrid cloud works, but also have a thorough practical idea about it as well.
This practical stance can be achieved by observing the actions of companies that has been using hybrid clouds for a long time and has seen various results on its usage. Therefore, studying this will be immensely helpful and will help you know about the practical applications of such a system.
The case study I will be talking about in today’s article will be about a company called GDS. GDS is named so for the sake of maintaining the company’s anonymity.
In this case study, I will talk about the problem scenarios of the company. I will also talk about the challenges that arose from the problem scenario and the solutions that the company managed to come up with. Finally, to conclude the case study I will talk about the results in a brief manner.
The Problem Scenario
The company called GDS is a call center company that is known to handle customer service for an electronics company selling laptops and other computer hardware and software. This company values the privacy and protection of the information of their customers most, hence it is important for them to have a call center company that provides the same.
GDS is known for using hybrid cloud system paired with the best call center software for their company. Recently, they made a change in the cloud systems they used and noticed some unwanted changes in the system. At first, they thought it was the fault of the newer software that they installed, but decided to observe the changes before making a rash decision.
The investigated further and drew up a list of challenges that they were facing.
There were many challenges that the company was facing but here I will talk about the ones relevant to the topic.
The company observed the working methods of the agents, listened to the feedback from the customers and took interviews with the agents to determine what was going on.
1. The first thing that was noticed was that the new hybrid cloud has different price structures than the previous ones which were hidden in micro transactions. This meant that at the end of the day it was gathering more revenue with the company simply who could not afford.
2. There was a lack of seamless transition from the in-house IT to the Cloud system. This meant that some of the features simply did not work due to the lack of a smooth integration with the hosted cloud.
3. There was a lack of on-demand scalability and self-service solutions. The company would have had to pay extra just to gain access to the features.
4. There was confusion over the system and how to use it. The agents ended up using it differently from each other, making the workspace a chaos. There was a lack of management strategies.
5. There were no mature competencies in the company as there was a lack of standardization of the hybrid components in the company.
Before they decided to do anything, they switched up the hybrid cloud they were using to see a positive result.
Now that we have taken a look at the challenges let us now look at the various solutions that the company leaders managed to come up with:
1. There were no additional charges with this cloud system. Moreover, it was based on per click basis so that there were no hidden charges in the company payroll.
2. The transition was now seamless and it was well connected. More and more features became usable by the agents.
3. On-demand scalability and self-service solutions were no longer exclusive. They came win with the package and the company did not have to pay extra for these essential features.
4. They introduced management strategies that will help them immensely to reduce the series of confusion that was prevalent already in the company due to the changing of the call center cloud system.
5. To develop mature competencies, the leaders decided to introduce standardization of hybrid components. Standardization had a great impact on provisioning, governance and even patching.
The results were slow to come but it came steadily over the course of a few months. Fine tuning of the management strategies for the hybrid cloud used by the company helped the agents get adjusted to the environment. The standardization of the hybrid components made it easier to use and helped them to develop mature competencies.
It is possible to have a system that is supported by hybrid cloud with the help of the proper call center solutions that not only supports the system but works actively to avoid the obvious missteps.